Friday, November 27, 2009

IT'S TIME TO WAGE WAR ON CHRISTMAS!

I'm ready to wage War on Christmas. I like Christmas. I like the term "Christmas." I don't want to take "Christ" out of the word "Christmas" because "Happy Holidays" isn't specific enough and the sound of "Christ" sounds so round and full...such as when I exclaim, "Jesus H.M.S. CHRIST!!!" See? It's fun. And I like Christmas Trees. Mainly for the smell, but I also like the idea that Christmas trees are a human tradition older than...well, the story of Jesus. I like Santa Claus- but let's get real. Santa Claus is hardly a religious icon, aside from the very weak attempt to link him to a religion via his name. He's magical, powerful, has minions and bribes kids. And he doesn't forgive "bad kids." He just puts them on a list. Not very Christ-like. Let's get real. Christmas isn't just for christians. Christmas has evolved, you know, become more intelligent. The ideas of sharing time with family and appreciating peace and the season is the main focus now, not celebrating the birth of a made up biblical superhero. Oof...there's that word again. I wrote it a few sentences back. "Evolved." "Evolution." Sorry people who don't believe in science. But Merry Christmas anyway.

No comments: