Saturday, April 18, 2009

Now we come home...video added

Man...it's late.  I shouldn't even be up right now typing this because of how early we are having to wake up tomorrow to catch our flight back to Los Angeles.  But I know once I get home I'm not going to want to do this because then my head will be on things to do in Los Angeles... so...

The reason why I had to wake up so early yesterday was because I had to get tickets to the Bureau of Engraving and Printing.  It's where they make our money.  The tickets are free but are distributed on a first come first serve basis.  The ticket office opens up at 8 am.  So, naturally people begin lining up at 6 am.  Well, I did my part.  I pried myself out of bed and taxied myself over there...I got there at 630 am.  And there were already thirty people waiting!  The wait was worth it and the tour was very unique and interesting.  Watching millions of dollars being printed is something you can't do every day so...

We rounded yesterday off by hitting the Smithsonian Museums of Natural History and Air and Space.  What great Museums.  I think both Charlie and Chase enjoyed both very much.  I think they both liked the Museum of Natural History a wee bit more because of the butterfly exhibit.  (See video.)  However, at the Air and Space Museum they have converted the old cafeteria style commissary to a McDonald's slash Boston Market "McTreat" station.  Hmmm.... McTreats... So we did what any red blooded Americans would do, we stared at some space suits and then scampered over for McDonald's ice cream and McFlurrys.

Last night was the second night we visited with Helen and her Husband Hartmut and their daughter Sophie and Helen's mother.  We enjoyed every minute and I know that the girls really loved playing with Sophie.  

Today we kept it pretty simple.  Ford's theater and then the White House.  The weather was very hot here today.  We were all melting.  We couldn't get in to Ford's Theater because they were preparing to do a show.  That whole area, if you ask me, is the trappiest of all D.C.  It seems a bit wrong to peddling toddler shirts with designs that have teddy bears with Lincoln beards in the very building that Lincoln was assassinated in.  But maybe I'm just too darn sentimental.  Money money money.

I'm sad to say that we ended up NOT able to get a White House tour.  Our Congressman's pull just wasn't strong enough to get us in...the waiting list is six months long.  But we walked around and looked from the outside as best we could.  It looks quite comfortable.

We did see massive lines winding around the back block of the White House...and heard from a cab driver that Obama had decided to open up the White House to the public for today and tomorrow...but those lines were so long, and the heat was so bad here, that is just wouldn't have been worth it.  

Finally, this evening we visited with Tiffany's former co-worker at the Ninth Circuit, Theo, and his wonderful family.  Theo has two girls in the same orbital age as Charlie and Chase, so it was a grand old time.  You'd think Charlie and Chase had never seen other kids their age before.  By the end of the night Charlie was exchanging emails with her new friends.  

...And now, everyone is asleep but me.  I type this to the pleasant sounds of three people, who have had two very busy weeks, trying their best to recover.

Tomorrow...we come home.  We miss you all and can't wait to see you. 

The video will be up on Youtube shortly...  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-X-ym79sM88

1 comment:

george&peggy said...

Thanks for sharing the latest Dodge family vacation adventure.